Monday, June 6, 2011

South Beach Diet Sliders

The hardest part about the South Beach Diet was the convenience bread offers you. Cody used to have a sandwich nearly every day for lunch and all of our dinners usually involve some type of bread. By the end of our 2 week Phase 1 period, I was dying for something different to eat than what had become our normal, so I turned to a website my dad found:

3 Fat Chicks on A Diet

{cue hallelujahs}

This website turned out to be a life saver and I found several recipes on it that helped us stay strong, including this slider recipe.

DSC_0664

{technically they are called like sesame seed buns for sliders. we just call them sliders though}


Sliders

Preheat oven to 350*.

5 eggs
1/2 c. black beans, rinsed (could sub ricotta)
1/4 c. flaxseed
1/4 c. almond meal
3 packets Splenda
1 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 t. sesame seeds (optional)

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. Spray a non-stick muffin tin heavily with cooking spray. Pour mixture into muffin cups (should make 12). Bake 15 minutes or until puffy and done. Cool and slice.


I would definitely encourage you to use the ricotta cheese instead of black beans. Both ways are good, but using the ricotta cheese makes it taste more like corn bread. I also double this recipe and make it in small, 3 in round pans so they are more bun sized. I portion it out so that 2 muffins equals one round bun.

These are good enough that I will keep them in our rotation, even after we have incorporated whole wheat back into our diet. They are so easy to make up and have on hand for a quick breakfast: heat up some egg whites, turkey bacon, a little sugar free jelly and you have a great breakfast sandwich!

I would *highly* encourage you to try out this recipe!

abby-signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I love hearing from readers!